CBD is a cannabinoid derived from cannabis. It has gained popularity in the health and wellness industry for its many medicinal and therapeutic benefits. Unlike THC, CBD does not produce a “high” in people who use it.
One of its many therapeutic effects is its benefit to the skin when taken topically. Topical CBD products include creams and lotions, along with lip balm. Nobody likes dry or chapped lips; now, with the introduction of CBD into lip balms, many people have found the relief they were looking for. Below, we will discuss the many benefits of CBD lip balms, and how they work, along with a few tips about buying CBD lip balm.
Causes of Dry Lips
Dry, chapped lips are usually caused by extreme weather conditions, like dry air, extreme cold, wind, and/or sun exposure, along with nutrient deficiency. Other factors include medical conditions, lip-licking, and dehydration.
CBD Lip Balm Benefits
CBD has been used topically to reduce pain, inflammation, and irritation of the skin, so it’s no wonder that companies have turned to CBD for extra protection and relief from dry, chapped, or irritated lips.
Traditional lip balms have long been used to combat these negative effects, and many people have found respite in using CBD lip balms. Some of the ways lip balms ease these uncomfortable effects are due to CBD’s anti-inflammatory and sebostatic effect, pain relief, moisturizing, reduction in redness and irritation, calming of cold sores, and more. It is also touted as an antibacterial agent that keeps the lips protected.
- Offers an anti-Inflammatory and sebostatic effect. CBD has been shown to have anti-inflammatory effects when applied to the skin. CBD is able to effectively treat inflamed lips, resulting from dehydrated skin. It also reduces dryness by reducing the activity of the sebaceous gland, which is often responsible for dry skin and psoriasis.
- Eases pain. One of the most highly prized benefits of using CBD is its analgesic (pain-relieving) effect on the body. Dry, irritated lips can often result in pain, if not treated.
- Along with common ingredients in lip balm, like shea butter and coconut oil, CBD moisturizes skin, and protects lips from cold, dry, or windy air.
- Reduces redness, irritation, and cold sores. CBD is an antioxidant that can help protect your lips from overexposure to harsh environmental conditions, and can help reduce redness, irritation, and cold sores, by helping your lips recover after damage.
- Provides antibacterial properties to keep lips protected. Cannabis has long been prized for its antibacterial properties, and recently, studies have shown that CBD is one of these antibacterial chemicals. The antibacterial properties of CBD provide an extra layer of protection to your lips.
- Provides nutrients.Nutrients are another important part of maintaining healthy lips. CBD contains vitamins A, D, B, and E; all of which ensure your lips are happy and healthy.
How CBD Lip Balm Works
CBD in CBD products is extracted from hemp in a concentrated form (like hemp oil), and then added to a lip balm formula. It works with other moisturizing ingredients in lip balms to give the user an added dose of protection and relief. The specific mechanism that allows CBD lip balm to be so effective is the following:
All humans are born with an endocannabinoid system (ECS), which interacts with CBD (and other cannabinoids) through specific receptors located throughout the body, like the lips. The CBD can then target these localized cannabinoid receptors to provide comfort and relief on the affected area of the body (in this case, the lips). In other words, CBD lip balm works by soothing, moisturizing, reducing inflammation, and generally repairing damage in dry, irritated lips, along with protecting them from further harm.
Buying the Right CBD Lip Balm
Before you purchase a CBD lip balm, it’s important to do some research on the product before you buy it. Make sure you are purchasing from a reputable brand. You can do this by searching for information on the brand online, and looking at reviews. Another important thing to keep in mind is checking the labels on CBD lip balm. All CBD products should contain a CBD certificate of analysis (COA). CBD COAs are third-party, lab-backed documents that show exactly how much CBD is in a product.
If the benefits of CBD are appealing to you, and you’re looking for a way to obtain a more relaxing rejuvenating sleep, sleeping on a CBD pillow might be right for you. As you sleep, CBD, which is embedded in microcapsules contained in the pillow, is released when the microcapsules break, and are exposed to friction from your hair and skin.